I have been privileged to study at a number of centres of national and global excellence in counselling, psychotherapy and psychosocial research, where I have undertaken the following trainings:
- MSc Therapeutic Practice for Psychological Trauma (Chester University – Distinction)
- Full training (Parts I, II & III) in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR Extra, UK)
- Certificate in Understanding Trauma: Principles and Practice (Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust, London)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (University of Brighton and Wpf Therapy, London)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (Wpf Therapy, London)
- Accredited (British Psychoanalytic Council) as a practitioner of Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (DIT), a 16-session protocol for the treatment of depression recommended by the National Institute of Clinical and Health Excellence (NICE).
- Certificate in Counselling Supervision (Waverley Abbey)
- Certificate in Online Counselling (OSCE, UK)
- Trained practitioner of the Trauma Resiliency Model (TRM), a biological-based system for reducing and eliminating the symptoms of traumatic stress.
- Trained practitioner of Trauma Risk Management (TRiM), a peer support protocol developed by the UK Armed Forces
- Qualified Workplace Mediator.
Trained and accredited to use the Attachment Style Interview (Middlesex University)
Other areas in which I have undertaken continuing professional development (CPD) include Motivational Interviewing (MI), Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD), Responding to Kidnap, Crisis Management, Psychosocial Responses to Disasters, Psychopharmacology and Ecotherapy.
Accreditations and memberships
I am an accredited member of the following organisations:
- British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Association of Christian Counsellors (ACC
I am a professional member of the following organisations:
- European Society for Trauma and Dissociation (ESTD)
- EMDR Association UK & Ireland
- Association of Counsellors and Therapists Online (ACTO)
I have written a number of articles on stress, trauma and staff care for a range of publications and have also contributed to the following books:
Lauffer, S. & Hamacher, J. (2014) In Control: A Practical Guide for Civilian Experts Working in Crisis Management Missions. Berlin: Centre for International Peace Operations (ZIF)
Spencer, T. (2014) Personal Security: A Guide for Travellers. Boca Raton, FL:CRC Press